Skip to main content
Will Child Care be available this fall during distance learning?Essential Care through Minneapolis Kids will be available for Tier I Essential Workers as outlined in the Governor's Executive Order 20-82.
Who is eligible for Essential Care through Minneapolis Kids?
- Health Care and Public Health
- Law enforcement, public safety and first responders
- Food and agriculture
- Judicial Branch (essential services)
- National Guard (Activated under a Governor Executive Order)
- Educators and school staff providing in-person instruction or caring for children of critical workers
- Child care and school-age care providers
- School-age care for children of critical workers is intended for extreme circumstances in which no parent or guardian is at home, due to employment as a critical worker. Priority for this service will be given in the following order:
- 1. Single parent families who meet Tier I Essential Worker.
- 2. Dual parent families who both meet Tier I Essential Worker.
- 3. Any other families whom a parent meets Tier I Essential Worker and as site capacity through space and staffing allows.
- Work verification, from a current employer correspondence, must be provided before registration will be processed.
Can I still register for Essential Care?Due to high demand, registration is now closed for the first quarter of the 2020-21 school year.
What happens to my original Minneapolis Kids contract for the 2020-21 school year?If you currently have a contract with Minneapolis Kids for the 2020-21 school year, you may keep that contract in place. Traditional school-year child care contracts will be placed on hold and no fees will be charged for that contract while MPS is operating in a distance learning or hybrid model. These contracts will be honored once MPS moves back regular in-person learning.
Will transportation be provided for Essential Care through Minneapolis kids?Upon request, limited transportation may be available from 8:30am-3:00pm in your school zone.
Will lunch be provided for Essential Care through Minneapolis Kids?Breakfast and Lunch will be available at no cost through Essential Care.
Will children receive assistance with distance learning assignments and projects during Essential Care?Essential Care will provide space and time for students to complete distance learning activities. Staff will be available to assist with minor things such as logging on/reading directions, etc. Staff are not able to provide academic support or instruction. Appropriate supports for special needs and/or IEPs will be available through the student's home school.
Can my child Essential Care before 8:30am to align with their school day bell schedule? Exceptions cannot be made due to school bell schedules. If you need care outside of the Essential Care hours of 8:30am - 3:00pm, you can enroll in fee based Extended Day AM or PM. You can also reach out to your child's teacher to determine accommodations if necessary.