With MPS moving to a full in-person learning model for all grades, essential school aged care will not be offered as of April 19. A school district is not required to provide school-aged care for critical workers when the school is offering in-person learning
1/29/21: Minneapolis kids Essential Care Updates for 6th-7th Grade (up to 12 years old)
Starting Monday, February 22nd, Marcy Open School and Lake Harriet Upper will be the locations providing Essential Care for 6th and 7th grade (children up to 12 years of age) for families that meet Tier 1 Essential Worker qualifications. See below for T1 Essential Worker qualifications and enrollment prioritization.
Essential Care programming will be from 9 AM until 4 PM. Families will be able to drop off ing at 8:40 AM and will need to pick up by 4:15 PM to avoid late pickup fees.
On Monday, February 1st, families will be able to submit a new contract request for Essential Care at either Marcy or Lake Harriet Upper. Registration will be through Eleyo.
- Families will select the season "In-Person Learning Model Spring 2021" and then select one of the site options: Essential Care Marcy or Essential Care Lake Harriet Upper.
- If needed, families will be able to add Extended AM Care and/or Extended PM Care. Extended AM Care will be from 6:30-9AM and Extended PM Care will be from 4-6 PM. Extended AM Care will be $11.30 per day and Extended PM Care will be $13.05 per day.
1/8/2021: Minneapolis Kids Childcare Updates for In-Person Learning Model
Free Essential Care including Fee-Based Extended AM & PM care will conclude on the following dates as MPS returns to in-person learning:
- High-Five - Kindergarten ends February 5th
- 1st - 2nd Grade ends February 9th
- 3rd-5th Grade ends February 19th
Essential Care will be available for 6th graders (up to 12 years of age) at select locations. Re-registration will be required.
Minneapolis Kids will resume providing fee based before- and after-school childcare for children attending in-person learning in grades High Five-5th starting February 22nd. Re-registration is required for all families needing before- or after-school care in the new, in-person model. Registration will be accepted based on staff availability & accordance to MN Departments of Education and Health guidelines.
Essential Care through Minneapolis Kids
School-age care for children of critical workers is intended for extreme circumstances in which no parent or guardian is at home, due to employment as a critical worker. Priority for this service will be given in the following order:
- Single parent families who meet Tier I Essential Worker.
- Dual parent families who both meet Tier I Essential Worker.
- Any other families whom a parent meets Tier I Essential Worker and as site capacity through space and staffing allows.
Work verification, from a current employer correspondence, is needed to complete the application.
Please be sure to submit required work verifications to our main office at firstname.lastname@example.org
School Day Care forTier 1 Essential Workers: work verification required.
Offered during school hours on days when students are scheduled for distance learning.
- Anthony, Anwatin, Field, Justice Page, Lake Harriet Upper, Northeast, Sanford
- For MPS enrolled students in grades High Five through 6th
Provided at no cost per Executive Order 20-82.
Not available on days when there is no school (professional development, breaks, etc.).
Space will be available for children to attend distance learning. They will need to bring their own device.
Breakfast and lunch provided by Nutrition Services.
Upon request, limited transportation may be available from 8:30am-3:00pm in your school zone.
If care is needed outside of school hours, fee based before and after school is offered by Minneapolis Kids.
- Consistent schedule of at least 2 days per week, per component required.
Minneapolis Kids Extended Day care forTier 1 Essential Workers who are attending School Day Care.
Fee based for MPS enrolled students in grades High Five through 6th.
Extended Day AM | (6:30am-8:30am) | $11.30/day
Extended Day PM | (3:00pm - 6:00pm) | $17.20/day
Afternoon snack provided.For families who need assistance with fees, resources may be available through the Child Care Assistance Program and/or Scholarships. Inquire by contacting the main office at email@example.com or by phone at 612.668.3890.
No transportation available, family drop off and/or pick up for wrap around care.
Consistent schedule of at least 2 days per week, per component required.
COVID-19 Health and Safety Measures
Minneapolis Kids and School Day Care follows the guidance from Centers for Disease Control and Minnesota Department of Health. Students will be placed in ‘pods’ to limited exposure. Staff and students will wear masks, follow social distancing guidelines, and sanitize surfaces and materials regularly.