Tier 1 Essential Care
Free, tier 1 essential
worker school-day childcare is required when a district is in a distance
learning model and for those who qualify. The free Essential Care program, as
well as fee-based Extended AM and PM Care, will continue through the following
- High Five-Kindergarten through February 5th
- Grades 1-2 is available through February 9th
- Grades 3-5 is available through February 19th
Please note that while
all current Essential Care families will be able to attend the non-school day
on January 29th, only students in grades 3-6 will be eligible to attend the
non-school day on February 16th. Pre-registration via Eleyo is required
and the fee is $42.20 per day. Non-school day care availability is
subject to change.
Essential Care will be open February 1st through February 5th. Families have been notified by their schools that distance learning will not be available for their High Five through 5th grade students as teachers prepare to return. Minneapolis Kids will continue to provide Essential Care to enrolled families during this week, and staff will have planned activities for students.
These dates are in accordance with when in-person learning resumes for particular grades. The governor's mandate is that Essential Care must be provided when there is no option for in-person learning for High Five through 6th grade. Minneapolis Kids will continue to provide Essential Care to Tier 1 families until in-person learning is available to them.
Essential Care for 6th-7th Grade (up to 12 years old)
Starting Monday, February 22nd, Marcy Open School and Lake Harriet Upper will be the locations providing Essential Care for 6th and 7th grade (children up to 12 years of age) for families that meet Tier 1 Essential Worker qualifications. See below for T1 Essential Worker qualifications and enrollment prioritization.
Essential Care programming will be from 9 AM until 4 PM. Families will be able to drop off ing at 8:40 AM and will need to pick up by 4:15 PM to avoid late pickup fees.
On Monday, February 1st, families will be able to submit a new contract request for Essential Care at either Marcy or Lake Harriet Upper. Registration will be through Eleyo.
- Families will select the season "In-Person Learning Model Spring 2021" and then select one of the site options: Essential Care Marcy or Essential Care Lake Harriet Upper.
- If needed, families will be able to add Extended AM Care and/or Extended PM Care. Extended AM Care will be from 6:30-9AM and Extended PM Care will be from 4-6 PM. Extended AM Care will be $11.30 per day and Extended PM Care will be $13.05 per day.
Model: Before- & After-School Childcare Resumes
Minneapolis Kids will resume providing fee based before- and
after-school childcare services for children attending in-person learning in
grades High Five through 5th grade ing February 22nd. Re-registration
is required for all families needing before- and/or after-school
childcare in the new, in-person learning model. Registration will be accepted
based on staff availability and in accordance to MN Departments of Education
and Health guidelines.
Registration for In-Person
- Initial Minneapolis Kids registration will be open from February 1st at 7:00 a.m. - February 5th at 6:00 p.m.
- Registration will still be available after these dates but Minneapolis Kids may not be able to provide a date of February 22nd.
- All families need to re-register, including families with a currently "paused" contract.
- If you need before- and/or after-school childcare, please re-register by:
- Logging into your Eleyo account
- Selecting the season called "In-Person Learning Model Spring 2021"
- Choosing your Minneapolis Kids site
- Completing the contract
- There is a new minimum registration requirement. Families must sign up for Monday through Thursday before-school and/or after-school childcare. Friday is optional. Note: this is a requirement to ensure students are grouped together consistently per MN Department of Health guidelines.
- Priority will be given to current Minneapolis Kids families and then to currently enrolled Tier 1 families.
- Current Minneapolis Kids family is defined as those already enrolled and accepted in the "paused" School Year 2020-21 season.
- Registrations will be based on staff availability and in accordance to MN Departments of Education and Health guidelines.
- Families opting to remain in the MPS distance learning model are not eligible for Minneapolis Kids childcare.
In-Person Locations and Costs
- Before- and/or after-school childcare is provided for a cost at select locations. Please see the in-person location sheet and cost schedule for details. Click here to view location and cost sheet.
- If Minneapolis Kids is not located in your school building click here to see where you can access care.
- Minneapolis Kids has a $30 registration fee. If you have already paid a registration fee for this school year, 2020-2021, or in previous school years, you will not be charged again. This only applies to new families registering for Minneapolis Kids for the first time.
- Minneapolis Kids provides before-school childcare from 6:30 AM until the of the school day and after-school childcare from the end of the school day until 6:00 PM.
- Please note that the before-school component is not available at all locations.
Meals and Snacks
- An afternoon snack will be provided.
- Transportation is not provided to before-school childcare or from after-school childcare.
Groups of Students
- Students and staff will be kept in small cohorts that stay together as much as possible throughout programming components and from day to day.
- Any shared building spaces will
be cleaned between uses.
Non-School Day Care
- Minneapolis Kids will provide non-school day care during Spring Break 2021, on April 2nd and from April 5th-9th for families who are enrolled in before- and/or after-school care. Please see the in-person location sheet for information about which sites will be available for non-school day care.
- Non-school day care is provided at a cost of $42.20 per day, and pre-registration is required.
- Registration for Spring Break non-school day care will open on March 1st.
Key Dates to Remember
February 1st: Re-registration for before- and/or after-school
childcare opens (in-person learning model only)
February 5th: Essential Care for High-Five through Kindergarten ends
February 9th: Essential Care for Grades 1-2 ends
February 19th: Essential Care for Grades 3-5 ends
February 22nd: Minneapolis Kids before- and after-school programming resumes
March 1st: Registration for Spring Break non-school day care opens